Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Blog #3 - Safe Practices with Web 2.0

In my journey with learning new Web 2.0 tools, I have always wondered what safety measures I could take to keep my personal information safe and my computer safe. After reading Chapter 7 in Solomon and Schrum, I see that there are many measures we can take to ensure our information stays secure.

First off, I have a horrible habit of using the same user name and password for everything. But, now that I have multiple accounts, I have changed up my pattern so that my user names and passwords are different for a lot of the sites. Also, when it comes to social networks online, I try not to be too specific with the items I post. For example, I don't post when we are traveling or not going to be home, or post about anything work related.

Another thing I learned is the importance to know what type of e-mails we receive. If anything looks suspicious, then we should not open it. It could infect our computer with viruses or give the hackers access to our personal information online or on our computer. Being educated on these types of e-mails is the key to avoid losing our personal information.

Also, everyone should be educated on the types of websites that are out there for people to access. We should be able to tell which websites are secure and which ones are bogus sites. Secure websites have the link of https://, where other websites may have http:// to look similar to secure websites.

Educating users is the key to safe practices for Web 2.0. It is up to the teachers, the employers, and parents to educate users on the safe practices that are important for Web 2.0 use.


No comments:

Post a Comment